The United States Environmental Protection Agency recognizes November 15th as America Recycles Day, a day to promote and celebrate recycling.
The three pillars of recycling are: Reduce Waste, Reuse Materials, and Recycle Properly.
In honor of America Recycles Day, we are sharing 5 easy tips you can adopt to reduce, re-use, and recycle properly in your daily life!
- Know what you can and cannot recycle! Visit your local Department of Public Works or county / municipal website to find out exactly what your local recycling centers accept.
- Have you ever opened a drawer, only to find 30 plastic bags from your last grocery run stuffed to the brim? We have all been there, but it’s time to discard and start new! Use your own bag whenever you can. Next time you run errands, bring your own reusable bag that can be wiped down and repurposed for many uses. Reducing the use of plastic and paper bags helps the environment by reducing litter, minimizes the destruction of trees, saves money, and decreases clutter in your home.
Extra Tip: You can return your plastic bags or packaging from online orders to grocery stores for recycling. Recycling this plastic film is special and separate from most municipal recycling streams and clogs their machines, so don't throw plastic bags in with your home recycling, and don't throw them in the trash!
- Throw away that plastic water bottle (for the last time!) Invest in a well-insulated water bottle that can be taken on the go anywhere and will last hot or cold for up to 24 hours.
- Buy reusable items for on-the-go meals. Purchase a reusable cutlery travel set that you can bring to and from work and easily throw in the dishwasher after a long day. Package your lunch in a reusable Tupperware container, reusable silicone storage bag, or glass jar. Your lunch will taste just as great, and these small changes contribute to a greener environment.
- Try repairing before you replace. Next time something seems off or broken, break out the toolbox and try to fix the issue before replacing with a new item. Repairing reduces waste, reuses materials, and helps to promote a clean and healthy environment for all!
While these are just a few ways you can get more involved in recycling, we encourage you to research other ways to incorporate recycling into your daily routine. While you make a positive impact on your life (and others!), let us make an impact on yours.
At The Cleaning Authority we believe a clean earth is as important as a clean home, and we are committed to using products safe for the earth. Learn more about our green cleaning here, and visit https://estimate.thecleaningauthority.com for a free online estimate.