November 15 marks Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day! This is a great time to empty out your fridge and give it a good scrub down. As you take each item out, take the time to check expiration dates and freshness, as well as purge anything you no longer want or need.
The timing of this day is convenient as you approach the fall and winter holidays, which usually cause your fridge to really fill up!
This is also a great time to re-organize your refrigerator to maximize space and accessibility. Check out our hacks to better organize your food!
- Use Bins: You can buy simple bins from the dollar store to help organize your food on shelves. You could have a bin for cheese, one for drinks, one for yogurt, and one for leftovers in Tupperware. The possibilities are endless! Bins will help you to better stack things on the shelves of your fridge!
- Keep Expiration Dates Front and Center: When putting an item with an expiration date label in the fridge, face the label outward so you see it every time you “scan” the fridge. Also, try keeping items that expire at eye level so you see them first!
- Door Items: Whatever you store in the door of the fridge needs to be something that can withstand some exposure to warmth as those are the first to feel the effects when the door is opened. Stick to condiments, drinks, or dairy (other than milk).
- Snack Zone: Especially if you have young kids, designate one area of the fridge as the snack zone. Fill it with easy grab and go snacks.
- Keep a List: Whether it’s a white board or a tear off pad, keeping a shopping list right on the door of your fridge will make it easier to keep track of what is running low. It will save you time to write it down when you notice rather than to take inventory of everything in the fridge before a shopping trip.
Once your refrigerator is cleaned and organized, it’s likely you’ll want the rest of the kitchen, and even the home, to follow suit. Visit The Cleaning Authority to find the location nearest to you and schedule a free online estimate to help the rest of your house stay clean.