Not only do essential oils smell great around the home, but they have many benefits too! Essential oils can be used for house-made cleaning sprays, scented laundry, insomnia, sore muscles, insect deterrents, and more!
Check out our favorite essential oils to keep around the home:
- Lemon - Lemon is a must in the kitchen. For any lingering food smells, mix a few drops of lemon with water and spray throughout the kitchen. If the odor lives in the fridge or garbage can, add two drops of lemon to a cotton ball and stick it in the back of the fridge or bottom of the trash can to absorb. Lemon can also be added to your water for a kick of flavor, mixed with water to wash wooden surfaces, or added to the dishwasher for extra sparkling dishes.
- Lavender - Having trouble falling asleep? Lavender is known for its calming effect. Put a few drops on your pillow or diffuse nearby to help you sleep better at night!
- Peppermint - Do your muscles ache after a hard workout or a long day at the office? Use peppermint as it contains menthol, a soothing effect on sore spots. Peppermint has also been found to help both nausea and headaches – rub a drop or two of peppermint oil directly onto the areas that are bothering you.
- Tea Tree Oil – After you soothe your muscles with peppermint, don’t forget about your workout gear! Disinfect your yoga mats and workout equipment with a solution of 1 cup of vinegar, 4 cups of water, and a few drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree is antimicrobial, which helps to kills bacteria, viruses, and mold.
- Herbs - If you don’t have herbs on hand for cooking, you can substitute fresh herbs with a few drops of thyme, ginger, basil, or oregano alternatives. Not all essential oils can be ingested, so please check your brand is safe for consumption. Essential oils can be very strong, so a rule of thumb - dip a toothpick into the liquid rather than using droplets of oil.
- Cinnamon – Not only can cinnamon be used in recipes, but it’s great for your green space! Cinnamon can be used as a deterrent for both indoor and outdoor pesky bugs, as well as combatting fungicide and weeds growing out in the garden.
Note: Always check your brand labels before use. Not all essential oils are safe for internal consumption or topical use.
Peace of mind starts with a clean home. Contact The Cleaning Authority for all your cleaning needs – to set up a free online estimate, visit https://estimate.thecleaningauthority.com!