The first week of February is National Burn Awareness Week! Burn Awareness Week is a window of opportunity for burn care organizations, burn survivor support groups, public safety and injury prevention professionals to increase common burn awareness and prevention among the general population.
As part of Burn Awareness Week, we’ve put together five quick and easy electrical safety tips to implement in the home, provided by our sister brand Mister Sparky Electric.
- Make sure the power supply is shut down before making home repairs or installation.
- Be sure to childproof your outlets using Tamper Resistant Receptacles or (TRRs). These receptacles are designed to keep your curious kiddo from putting fingers or objects into the receptacles. TRRs have spring-loaded shutters that close receptacle slots when they are not in use.
- Keep cords and wires away from kids and pets – both like to chew.
- Keep plugged in appliances away from water.
- Make sure to turn off or unplug appliances that are prone to overheat. A gadget that has been running for a while can be deceptively hot. Some of the appliances that tend to overheat: microwaves, ACs, dishwashers, washing machine/dryer, refrigerator, vacuum cleaner, ovens. If you’re appliances are overheating, this may be a sign that they need to be cleaned more regularly or replaced altogether.
Once you are done proofing the home, let us clean it for you! Our professional housecleaners are here for all your cleaning needs. Set up your free online estimate at www.thecleaningauthority.com.