March is National Nutrition Month, an annual campaign created by the Academy of the Nutrition and Dietetics to make informed food choices and develop sound eating and physical activity habits you can follow all year long.
Good nutrition starts in the kitchen, and this month, we challenge you to get involved by cleaning out and organizing your refrigerator to ensure you’re set up for maximum success!
To clean your refrigerator, follow these steps!
- Go through existing food, throwing away any expired or suspicious food. Make sure your kitchen sink is empty before beginning in case you need to wash out any containers or use the garbage disposal to rid of food.
- Remove everything from the refrigerator; ahead of time we recommend clearing off optimal counter space to allow you enough room for produce, vegetables, condiments, and anything else that you will be taking out of the refrigerator. If you have any bottles or jars that have accumulated stickiness or built-up residue, wipe off before placing back in refrigerator.
- Remove any shelves, drawers, and racks; wash them in the sink with hot water and soap. An extra tip by the CDC: Don’t run cold glass shelves or drawers under hot water or the glass could crack. Run it under room temperature first and then increase the temperature. After cleaning, wipe down with a microfiber cloth.
- Wipe down the inside of your refrigerator with a solution of two tablespoons of baking soda mixed with hot water. If there are any hard-to-remove surfaces, scrub with a sponge or toothbrush. Dry off with a clean cloth or paper towels.
- Clean the Exterior with warm soap and water mixture, or the same baking soda mixture you used for the inside of the fridge. If you have a stainless steel fridge, use stainless steel wipes to wipe down.
- Extra Tip – Check the condenser coils for any dust, dirt, or debris.
- Lastly, return all drawers and shelves back into the fridge, and then put all food and condiments back in the refrigerator. Make sure you organize so that you are grabbing the healthy foods first. If you need tips on how to organize your refrigerator, click here!
If cleaning your refrigerator seems overwhelming, you’re too busy, or you would simply rather spend time doing the things you love, don’t worry – we will gladly do it for you!
The Cleaning Authority offers refrigerator cleaning as an add-on service; call our Professional Fridge Cleaners at 888-658-0659 or click here to learn more: https://www.thecleaningauthority.com/our-cleaning-services/refrigerator-cleaning/#~1D665a3